Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Twisty Pinwheel Valentine's Quilt

I am excited about my Little Twisty Pinwheel Quilt.  

One of my goals this year is to use/try the quilty tools and books I have collected. 
(Hmm...more like hoarded over the years.
A few months ago I bought the Lil' Twister tool (tool #1) at a Shop Hop. 
I used Connie's easy to follow tutorial for the Lil Twist Heart. 

I used stash fabric for this little project. 
(Another goal to shop my stash.)  
Here is my heart before I cut into it.  

I have to say it took some courage to cut this up into little squares.  
What if I messed up and cut too much?  
My small rotary cutter (tool #2) was a very useful tool on this project.  
I highly recommend using one! 
Connie's tip is to cut and sew one row at a time
Great advise!  
It would be easy to get these little pinwheels going the wrong direction.  

After sewing my Little Twisty Pinwheel Heart together it measured 14 inches.  
 
 I added a border strip to make it 16 1/2 inches so that I could try out Lori Holt's 4-Patch scrappy Boarder from her book Quilty Fun.
(tool #3...Books are tools too right?)
 The instructions were easy to follow and results are so cute!
 I can't wait to try more of the projects in the book.

I stippled the quilt on my home machine.  
My favorite tools are my quilting gloves (tool #4).  
They help grip the quilt and keep the stitches even.  

I like to add a little hand quilting to my projects.  
Big stitches in red were next.

Stitched on the binding and tested out my new aqua binding clips (tool #5).  How did I ever bind anything before these great clips came out?  
In the past my hand would have all sorts of little pricks from the pins holding the binding in place.  
Ouch!  
Binding clips are so worth it!!!
 
Here it is my Twisty Pinwheel Valentine's Quilt!  
5 tools used,
2 new quilting techniques tried 
and shopped my stash.  

Who knew keeping goals can be so fun!



Cherilyn

Link Parties:
http://www.conniekresin.com/2014/02/linky-tuesday.html?showComment=1391546263940#c5143126050214848681






10 comments:

  1. What an adorable 'lil twister quilt!!! I also 'collect' gadgets and have all the ones you mentioned lol!!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great quilt! I recently watched a tutorial on the twister took because I just couldn't wrap my head around it LOL I might have to give it a try!

    I love my gloves too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful. I love it but can't imagine that twisty tool and cutting it all to pieces. It makes my little Valentine runner look like crap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an adorable project I love this pink heart. Thanks for sharing your project goals.Isn't it great to meet so many goals with just one little project?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute quilt. Thanks for showing step by step how the twisty ruler works. Maybe now I'll be brave enough to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable 'lil twister quilt!!! I also 'collect' gadgets and have all the ones you mentioned lol!!! Thanks for sharing Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous!! Thank you for sharing how you made it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just now wanted to thank you again for this amazing web page you have produced here. It is full of useful tips for those who are really interested in that subject, in particular this very post. You really are all amazingly sweet along with thoughtful of others in addition to the fact that reading the blog posts is a wonderful delight in my experience. And what a generous treat! Ben and I really have pleasure making use of your recommendations in what we need to do in a months time. Our list is a mile long so your tips are going to be put to excellent use. call card
    Im honored to obtain a call coming from a friend when he uncovered the important suggestions shared on your site. Studying your blog article is a real wonderful experience. Many thanks for thinking about readers at all like me, and I wish you the best of achievements like a professional in this field. calling card
    Very educating story. I’ve bookmarked the website in interest to read more information!


    Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

    ReplyDelete